When to Book Flights
Once you receive travel orders, contact the nearest Traffic Management Office (TMO). All official travel will be arranged by TMO in accordance with DoD order of precedence. Additional travel information can be found on Defense Traffic Management Office website.
Joint Base Andrews Passenger Travel Office
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling Passenger Travel Office
SATO (Commercial CONUS Travel)
Phone: 1-800-705-7286 / Email for JB Andrews customers:
Paying for Flights
Individually Billed Account (IBA)
With an IBA, DoD member will, use a Government Travel Card (GTC) to pay for flight plans made at the Commercial Travel Office (CTO). The DoD member will then claim reimbursement by filling out a travel voucher during in-processing.
NOTE: CTO can book flights to/from alternate airports, but you must pay any costs above your travel entitlement.
Centrally Billed Account (CBA)
Use of a Centrally Billed Account (CBA) is authorized when the traveler meets the IBA exemption criteria in the Government Travel Card Regulation DoDI 5154.31, Volume 4, paragraphs 040601 and 040602. Additionally, the use of CBA should be stated on the orders.
NOTE: All authorized travel must go through TMO for review prior to going to CTO.
Booking Flight & Ticketing Process
All travel arrangements must be made through the Traffic Management Office (TMO) at your losing duty station.
- Determine your desired travel dates. Travel is from the airport nearest to your losing duty station (or location on orders) to the port of debarkation (arrival airport) on orders.
TIP: Travelling with Pets? Pre-plan before going to Commercial Travel Office (CTO)
- Visit or contact your CTO (e.g. CWT, Sato Travel) with:
- 2 copies of orders with dependents listed
- Dependent No-Fee Passports with Visas, as applicable
- Date of Birth (DOB) for each passenger
NOTE: Infants will be given their own seat
- Provide the CTO with an email and point of contact
- The CTO will email your reservation (It is not a ticket)
Preparing for Flight Day
Ask your airline if you can carry certain childcare items onto the plane (i.e. strollers, pack-n-plays, and car seats)
- Hand-carry medical, dental, and school records
- Hand-carry important family documents
- Hand-carry pet documentation, pet food and supplies
- Ensure you have contact info for your overseas sponsor, hotel, etc.
- Sign up for free call/message apps on phone/tablet
- Bring an International adapters (great for overseas layovers)
Arriving at your new duty location
Coordinate travel from the airport to the base with your sponsor.
NOTE: Keep receipts for travel reimbursement