Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Driver's License

Before traveling

Before traveling, know which driving permits you’ll need to ensure you’re always covered while driving overseas.

U.S. License

You must first have a valid U.S. driver’s license to drive in most foreign countries. To make life easier, renew your driver’s license before you PCS if its expiration date falls within your timeline overseas.

International Driving

Some countries will not recognize a U.S. license without an International Driver's Permit (IDP).

The IDP is required with a valid state license to legally drive in some European countries (Austria, Bosnia- Herzegovina, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Spain).

An IDP can be obtained from your local American Automobile Association (AAA) or American Automobile Touring Alliance offices. THESE ARE THE ONLY ISSUING AGENCIES AUTHORIZED BY THE US STATE DEPARTMENT.

IDPs must be obtained in person and are valid for one year from the issue date. You can however pre-purchase additional years at the same time. Please visit the AAA website for additional information. 

SETAF Driver’s License