Staff Judge Advocate & Legal
Staff Judge Advocate (SJA) & Legal Office
From international law to tax centers and Legal Offices, the local Office of the Staff Judge Advocate provides legal services to commanders and their staff, military law enforcement, Airmen, retirees, civilian employees, and their families.
The local JA may offer notary services on a walk-in or appointment basis.
You will need to contact the local staff JA directly for more extensive legal advice, counsel, or assistance, .
Most offices offer a variety of topics to include, but not limited to the following examples:
- Wills [Must complete the Will worksheet]
- Advance medical directives and health care powers of attorney [POA]
- Debt collection/credit reporting problems
- Identity theft
- Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
- Immigration and Naturalization
- Separation and divorce counseling
- Italian legal issues such as traffic tickets
- During the tax season, the Legal Assistance Office may operate as a Tax Center
What is SCRA?
In 2003, President Bush signed the Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA) into law which replaced and expanded the former Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (SSCRA) from 1940.
The SCRA offers many protections to activity duty service members ranging from mortgages to interest rates. The SCRA can come into play in matters relating to:
- Foreclosures & Mortgages
- Auto loans
- Leases & Contracts
- Legal Proceedings
- Family Law Considerations